Last night President Obama outlined his plan to get America back to work with various infrastructure projects, tax breaks for businesses that hire and other incentives to get businesses back to hiring. That’s great news for those of us looking for a job or a career change! I think it is important that the President not only wants to get people working again, but also ensuring those who are working are getting a fair wage. The economy won’t improve until we all have money in our pockets that we can spend on things other than reducing our debt or buying necessities. We can only hope that the jobs bill is approved and implemented quickly because as the President indicated – we don’t have 14 months to wait for things to improve.
NightOwlStaffing is standing by to match workers of all shifts with employers who need those workers. We encourage businesses of all types to post their free job ads on NightOwlStaffing.com. Your membership is totally free and so are your job postings – including links, logos and media.
Many people who are in the job market – either by layoff or just for a career change – often look first at going back to school. A better education is never a bad idea, but there are some things you should consider before you enroll.
- Today’s higher education can be prohibitively expensive – especially if you plan to attend a good quality accredited school. How will you pay for your classes and books without a job? How long will it take you to re-coup those costs? Will you really get that much higher salary?
- Technology is changing fast affecting many jobs very quickly. When you finally get that new degree it may already be outdated.
- A higher education takes a lot of time – time that you won’t be working and making money.
- Cheaper on-line classes might not be as accepted as a “real” education. You might just be wasting your time.
On the job training (OJT) may be a more effective way to enhance your career or train for a new career direction. The hardest part of OJT is finding an employer that is willing to take the time and effort to train you – but it might not be as difficult as you would imagine. Many employers would rather have a person trained in the specific way they do business rather than bring on an employee with a head full of preconceived ideas. Most companies know the value of OJT and are more than willing to provide the opportunity.
Your past experience is your biggest asset when seeking on OJT position. An employer needs to be able to determine that you are the type of person that will learn quickly with the appropriate ambition. If you don’t already have years of experience you will need to be able to convince a prospective employer that you are that type of person. Practice several different ways of conveying that information in an interview – before you go to the interview. Be sure you can provide specific examples either in your professional life or private life that prove you are able to adapt and learn quickly.
The down side of OJT is that you may need to take a pay cut. You can’t really expect to get paid a full salary without the full training. But weighed against the amount of money you would pay for a quality education and the difference in cost to you could be substantial. OJT is your ticket to self improvement and career advancement at a fraction of the cost of higher education.
There is a perception in the job market that companies typically don’t hire during the Holiday season. So should you wait until the new year to continue your job search? Absolutely not – and here is why:
- Not all companies stop hiring during this end of year season – many others actually do. I was hired for my current tech job in mid November of last year.
- Many companies hire temporary workers for the busy shopping season. Not only will a temporary job provide needed income or some extra spending money – if you prove yourself as an exceptional employee, you might be kept on after the season and possibly land a permanent job.
- There are fewer people applying for jobs during this busy time – that means you have a better chance of getting noticed!
- After the first of the year you will be competing with all the other people who waited to start their job search. Now is the time to get a head start.
- Executives have a hard time being idle. Visiting with family might be a tad boring for them – so they just might sift through a few resumes to entertain themselves.
- Now is a great time to do something a little extra that will get you noticed in a big way. When you go in to apply for a job – bring a small gift with you to give to the HR person. Some candy (not homemade) or just a card will be accepted as a thoughtful gift and not a bribe. Even just a cheerful “Happy Holidays!” will show you in a positive light.
So while you are out and about shopping – drop off a resume on your way. Spend some extra time on-line applying for that perfect job. Tis the season!
Welcome to the NightOwlStaffing.com Blog! This blog will keep you updated on what’s going on in the job market – after 5pm. You might be asking yourself with all the job sites out there right now – why NightOwlStaffing.com? The following recent PR article explains how the idea of an after-hours job site came to be and how it can work for you.
The following is reprinted:
A new job site has hit the web – and it’s not your ordinary monster. This one is for the night owls! Dennis Becker of Fort Lauderdale has just launched a niche job website at http://www.nightowlstaffing.com. The idea was conceived after Mr. Becker decided to leave his 2nd shift job of 13 years in a very difficult economy to pursue his dream of a cross country bicycle ride from Fort Lauderdale, FL to Seattle Washington. “I’ve never been a morning person” recalls Dennis “and I feared it might be difficult to secure another 2nd shift job in the IT profession. The problem is that most job sites cater to the 9 – 5 work schedule and so a person interested in working after hours uses their key search terms to find their desired shift and not their desired job. That can limit productive search results”.
Dennis imagined a site where jobs were listed specifically for evening and nighttime shifts – virtually eliminating that part of the search. Now you can focus on the type of job you want which results in a much more productive search. NightOwlStaffing.com is exactly that site – and it is totally free for both employers and job seekers.
Commerce doesn’t stop at 5pm and there are a lot of job opportunities available in many fields including Manufacturing, Airports, Hospitals, Call Centers, Service Industry Security, IT and many more. Working non-standard shifts has many benefits as explained by Mr. Becker. “I call it – not living with the masses. I go to the grocery store, gym, bank, etc. when everyone else isn’t. Plus, most companies will pay more for people willing to work after hour schedules.”
Dennis was lucky and did find another 2nd shift job in the IT field. Now he hopes NightOwlStaffing.com will help other people secure their after hours jobs as well. Businesses are encouraged to post their later shift jobs on NightOwlStaffing.com (including logos and links). Job seekers should post their resumes now to get a head start. Signing up is easy, fast and best of all – totally free.